Cataloging the Granade Library: Part 3

I’m trying to break up the scanning/input of ISBN codes into reasonable parcels, sections that can get done in one sitting/day. This is mostly so I can feel as if I’ve accomplished something at the end of the session and have tidbits to report here. I have the large built-in bookcases in the living room that I’m not looking forward to and they will probably be last. However, the bright spot in that is that those, for the most part, are our newest “prettiest” books so all the bar codes on them should work. Unlike today’s scanning, which where all children’s books and for your information, NONE of the bar codes on kid’s books work! Nearly every single one of them had to be typed by hand. Arg!

• 514 total books scanned.
  • 147 books scanned (hand-typed, whatever) today.
  • All 147 live in Eli’s room.
  • Eli’s count: 144 total.
  • My count: 99 total. Eli’s room holds some of my children’s books that I bought before he came along.
  • No discards today!
  • Rooms finished: Kitchen, Eli’s Room, possibly the office.
  • Children’s books with high resale value: Like Butter on Pancakes. Retail Price: $5.99. Current Value: $45.97. This book was already out of print when I had Stephen’s dad find it for me two years ago and now it’s so very, very out of print. It’s probably my favorite kid’s book.
    All I See. This is actually one of my books by one of my favorite children’s author: Cynthia Rylant. Retail Price: $6.95. Current Value: $24.96.

Are you guys finding this interesting or dull? I am enjoying posting what I find but if you guys are bored to tears, I’ll just keep it to myself. I know the resale value thing is sort of odd. I know the numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but it’s kinda fun to think about the books that I enjoy actually being worth something.

1. katre
    on December 18, 2006 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I’m very interested. Also slightly horrified about what would happen if we tried this.

Questions:
    a) Discard books? Aiiiieee, what’s wrong with you people? (Mostly kidding. Mostly).
    b) Were Eli’s books hard to scan because they are owned by a small child and therefore terribly abused, or did they come that way?

My only other thought is that you really need a more 2006 title. I suggest renaming this project “Livebooking” or “Realscanning” before you try and shop around the book outline.

2. on December 18, 2006 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

a) Some of them were gifts. So I won’t go into details about what they are but these are not good books. They take up shelf space. And in some cases are ugly. Definitely not worth keeping.

b) Eli’s books are in great shape. He doesn’t rough them up unnecessarily, thank goodness or we’d kick him out of the family. If it’s a colored background, it doesn’t scan well, if it’s a non-standard size (small board books, it doesn’t scan well, if it’s a regular size copy of the book but is paperback, the bar code doesn’t match the book ISBN. We ran into another problem with Stephen’s Book Club books that was similar but a title search on Amazon combined with the magic “unknown binding” link usually solved that problem.

Thanks for the renaming tip. I think I’m going to change the title to: “Livebooking the Granade Library: Watch the paint dry!”

3. duchess
    on December 18, 2006 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I am having fun, because I like book-scanning. Ignore the grinch that was saying Aieee just above.

I did all our books in one day last year (but it was in Readerware, and since the version expired, it’s gone), so I am not worried about it this time around, either.

I am also enjoying your stats, namely to get an idea of how many books each of you have. The resale thing is cool, too.

4. on December 18, 2006 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Misty: You know that I’m nerdy enough to enjoy this. Mainly because I was nerdy enough to put about a hundred books through the other night. Glad that you adopted the scan-scan-sigh-when-the-ISBN-won’t-appear method. It’s nice to break it up into spurts.

5. on December 19, 2006 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Uh…. I had no idea you were actually scanning the books. I thought you were just organizing them in shoeboxes or something.

Don’t hate me.

6. on December 19, 2006 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Misty: I think we need to show Rachel the light.

7. Sean
    on December 19, 2006 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

It is entertaining to me, and makes me want to do much the same thing out here.
    Will the program tell you that if you have a couple of books in the series by an author (say a trilogy) that you are missing other books in the same series? I know I could use something like that if it would monitor Amazon or BarnesandNoble.com to see when the newest book was published. I can never keep track of the new books in all the different series that I have been reading lately.

8. Kat
    on December 20, 2006 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

I’m finding this very interesting for much the same reasons Sean is. We’ve been hmm’ing and haw’ing about organizing our books, but it’s such a daunting task without the right tools. Consider yourself a guinea pig. 😉