What’s Old as a Function of My Age

Graph of What's Old as a Function of My Age

1. on February 24, 2009 at 11:10 am | Permalink

For me, my subjective definition of “Old” has always been “my parents’ age”.

This fact has not particularly pleased my parents.

(Objectively, I like to break it up into 20 year chunks: 0-20 very young, 20-40 moderately young, 40-60 middle aged, 60-80 old, 80+ very old. And by “objectively”, I mean “what I say to my parents when I want to be nice to them.”)

2. Elizabeth
    on February 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

However, Jota, you can look at your “my paren’ts age theory” two ways….either you are always old because your parents were YOUR age at one point and therefor you are always your parent’s age…OR (and this is my personal favorite) you are NEVER old because you will never be your parent’s age as you can never truly catch up to them!

3. Dealin Doug
    on February 25, 2009 at 3:26 am | Permalink

I love the idiots that leave comments just to argue with previous comments. Screw that. You are all morons.

4. on February 25, 2009 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Brilliant, Doug! Instead of arguing, you only offer insults! Your insightful commentary would work well on many other blogs; here, though, try actual arguments and discussion instead of insults, assuming you can muster the strength.

5. Elizabeth
    on February 25, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Wow, I didn’t realize I had been arguing. I must be so good that I do it without even thinking about it! Jota, if you took offense to my “mindless arguing” I apologize. I was simply amused by your comment so thought I would offer my take since I never want to be old! LOL

Stephen, I apologize for my moronic idiocy in my “arguing” of a previous comment. I must have seriously brought down the IQ of your post.

Doug, you are a small, small man.

6. on February 25, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I was actually fairly baffled myself: I couldn’t figure out who was supposed to have been arguing with whom!

7. on February 25, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

I’m surprised that “Dealin Doug” doesn’t have an author URL; I figured this was just comment spam disguised as a marginally relevant comment.

8. Mark
    on March 25, 2009 at 7:27 am | Permalink

This is great! It’s like the sort of thing xkcd would do.

9. on March 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks! I’ll cop to being inspired by XKCD for this one.

2 Trackbacks

1. […] Stephen Granade has a chart that matches my experience almost exactly: What’s Old as a Function of My Age […]

2. By GFMorris.com » links for 2009-02-25 on February 25, 2009 at 8:30 pm

[…] What’s Old as a Function of My Age | Live Granades (tags: gfmorris_comment) […]