Eli Training

I worry sometimes about Eli’s behavior, but on the whole he is an extremely well-behaved kid. He says “please” and “thank you,” and follows most of our directions. A few weeks ago we were at the supermarket and the woman behind the meat counter said of Eli, “He minds so well!”

Since I am a generous and kind soul, I will show you how we manage Eli’s behavior.

Eli inside a large dog crate

The trick is to start cage training at an early age. Pretty soon your child will be comfortable with a pet-like existence.

Eli sleeping inside a large dog crate

1. Missy Krebs
    on October 11, 2006 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

On the whole topic of Eli’s behavior, I just read Stephen’s post from the 9th. For the record, I disagree with the know-it-all at church. I thought Grace’s toughest age was about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. So you can tell her that your other know-it-all friend says she’s wrong and it does get better. So there.

I’ve also found that when you get mad and don’t want to spend time with them, they get you back.

And also, every child is so wildly different that all this advice is useless anyway. As the nurse from my last delivery told me when I couldn’t get Lydia latched on, “hey, we’re not cats.”

2. on October 11, 2006 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Oh man…. I laugh at this sight. Maybe this is the trouble we’ve had with Halia and Travon… but the bird wouldn’t share his cage.

3. Fahmi
    on October 11, 2006 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Is a box okay? Otherwise, we will run out and get a cage this weekend!

4. on October 11, 2006 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Nice with the cute baby in the box and all but for serious training you need the crate. They can liberate themselves from the box at any time.
    🙂

5. on October 12, 2006 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Okay, see … I’m waiting for the hate mail on this one. Maybe Dooce could send you some of her haters? 😆

6. on October 12, 2006 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

“They can liberate themselves from the box at any time.”

Eli proved that he could do this… not through actually opening the crate himself, but rather by getting all snifly and stuff when I actually closed the door on him.

7. Trish Morris
    on October 22, 2006 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

This is fantastic. I am still trying to get Geof to learn.

8. on October 22, 2006 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

The sound that you just heard was me crapping my pants.

9. mother
    on August 8, 2007 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I am reporting this, if you are kidding or not,I just seen a case on tv from parents who are now in jail for doing that for real.

10. on August 9, 2007 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Hey, Geof, look! It only took 10 months for the hate mail from someone who can’t read for context or tell what was going on from comments!

11. on August 9, 2007 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Stephen: The Interwebs move slower as they leave Alabama, maybe?

12. on November 13, 2007 at 8:43 am | Permalink

lmao that is too funny 😛

13. K
    on January 31, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

This really is not a funny joke. There are millions of children ruly suffering in the world. This is not the so called “hate mail” I’m sure you were just dieing to get, which is the only real reason you put this up here, let’s be honest. Joke’s over dumb ass, it’s not funny, it’s just stupid and ignorant really.

14. on January 31, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Let’s be honest, while I appreciate the twist of claiming that our pictures of Eli in the cage are somehow minimizing other children’s suffering, the rest of your comment is really lackluster. You repeat that the joke isn’t funny, the worst you can call me is “dumb ass”, and overall I feel like you’re not even trying. So, yeah, this isn’t the hate mail I was hoping for. It’s more like mildly peeved mail.

15. on August 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry but I think this is hysterically funny! I took a photo of my granddaughter, Abbey Rose, yesterday in the crate with our big lab/pit mix, Harry. I think I’m going to do a post and call it “Girls in Cages”. Abbey Rose is seven and thinks it’s very funny too.

2 Trackbacks

1. […] Back in October we were hanging out at Rick and Jessica’s house and Eli looking for something to amuse himself with, crawled in to Molly’s crate. […]

2. […] for updates on this topic.Powered by WP Greet BoxSeveral years ago, Eli climbed into a dog cage, so of course we took a picture. Ten months later we got hate mail about […]