U2 Cures the Flu

Today is day number six of Stephen being ill. He manages to get up and showered and then immediately needs to rest for a few hours before lunch. Following lunch he rests for another few hours before he starts feeling really bad. He’s had fever, chills, aches, joint pain, lack of appetite, a hacking cough, congested sinuses, and random bouts of panic.

And the funniest part is when he went to the doctor to get tested for the flu, he tested negative.

Liza started running a temperature of 102° late yesterday afternoon.

You can see where this is going, can’t you?

I took her to the doctor today and she has a double ear infection. Her right ear? The drum is bulging with fluid, it’s so full. The left one? It just looks the regular kind of bad.

The doctor wasn’t going to do the flu test because she can’t have anything for the flu. I asked if he would anyway so that if we do have flu at Casa Granade, Eli can get a prophylactic dose of TamiFlu.

Shocker! Her test came back positive for the flu. Eli has had his first dose and I’m picking up my prescription tomorrow.

The very best news though is Stephen says he’s feeling better! We’ll see how the fever is tonight and tomorrow.

Me? I’m taking a large dose of U2 to help me cope. I got Vertigo, Live from Chicago for Christmas and this is only the second time I’ve watched it. I’m hoping that this weekend, if everyone is feeling better, I’ll get to sneak off to the movies and see U23D.

1. kat
    on February 26, 2008 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Man, when it rains, it pours at your house! I hope everyone feels better and that you and Eli don’t get the flu. Does U2 need to start doing anti-flu fundraising? 😉

2. on February 26, 2008 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Take me to the movies, sister!

We’re in the same boat over here – at this point, we’re trying not to touch each other. There’s a lot of nasal fluid flying around…

Feel better, sugar. And keep us(snotty and sick types) in your thoughts…

3. on February 27, 2008 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Man, that is not cool. I can say, though you probably can’t take anything either with nursing and all, when Sam had the flu a week ago I pulled out my Neti Pot and used it nightly before going to bed, and managed miraculously to never get it. It’s the first time in a long time I can remember Sam coming down with something and not passing it on to me. The Neti Pot is my new best friend.

4. LB
    on February 27, 2008 at 8:09 am | Permalink

What?? You are going to see U23D with me??!!

5. on February 27, 2008 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Joy, my OBGYN is actually the person giving me the Tamiflu and I asked if I could take it while nursing.

LB, I want to wait for you to see it but we’re gonna be on kid duty while you are here so I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

6. on February 27, 2008 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Fabulous. I didn’t know if you could or were taking it. I’m so glad you can. We didn’t even investigate that b/c we didn’t think of it within the magic 2 day or whatever window when you have to go in. When you said Liza couldn’t take it, I just assumed that meant you too. I am behind the times in learning about this magic medicine.

7. on February 27, 2008 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Cameron,
    I realized too little too late this morning but that we all needed our own hand towels in the bathrooms and to I needed to change them out everyday.

Hope your crew is better soon.

Bring on the U2!

8. on February 27, 2008 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Joy,
    The reason I called my OBGYN was because I wanted to be sure it was safe for nursing. Also, the window to get diagnosed and dosed is very tight for tamiflu. Stephen went about 12 hours too soon. He should have gone 24 hours after the fever started. Nice to know way after the fact.

9. on February 28, 2008 at 6:38 am | Permalink

Random bouts of panic? I wonder if U2 has an antidote for that?

Wishing you a healthy and restored household!!