Oh OSC No

Shorter Orson Scott Card: gay marriage scares me, and I think everyone who feels the same should try to overthrow the US government.

1. on July 31, 2008 at 10:43 am | Permalink

My knee-jerk response is that he’s a mindless Mormon, which … makes me just as bad.

2. on July 31, 2008 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Must … not … rant … on … other … people’s … blog … comments …

3. Gunther
    on July 31, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Geof: remove one ‘m’ from that and you’ve got it right.

4. Joyous
    on July 31, 2008 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I don’t think I have ever seen so many wrong-headed assumptions in one article…it quite takes one’s breath away. I wouldn’t even know where to *start* responding.

5. Lisa
    on July 31, 2008 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I was laughing out loud less than a third of the way into Card’s spiel (having a few moments a la Joyous). By the end, the laughter had faded to resigned sadness.

6. djpmom
    on August 2, 2008 at 8:05 am | Permalink

*sigh* One of the bad things about growing up; learning the politics and public viewpoints of some of the authors you USED to love. I’ll never be able to look Alvin Maker in the face again 🙁

7. Thad LeVar
    on August 4, 2008 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Hello Stephen, I was talking to my brother today about high school, that prompted me to go a google search on some high school names, and ran across this blog. Interesting.

So Card is a Democrat, Mormon, Homophobe. Interesting combination. I’ve read pretty much everything Card wrote (and conicidentally went to law school with his brother). I was shocked at the viciousness of his rant – I’ll definitely read his stuff a little differently now.

8. on August 4, 2008 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Hi, Thad! It’s good to hear from you. Yeah, OSC’s rant definitely makes me look at his work differently.

9. Morgan
    on August 5, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

The simple way out for the entire controversy of gay marriage is to recognize it as an establishment of religion, hence not a subject for legislation. Disentangle marriage from property law so that people can arrange joint property, inheritance, and custody as they see fit regardless of the natures of their relationships, sexual or otherwise. Fundamentalists will be pleased with the acknowledgement of religion, and gay couples will be pleased that there will not be any kind of legal recognition they might lack in the first place.

10. on August 5, 2008 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Morgan: I’ve held to that view myself, but I don’t really consider myself a fundamentalist at all. I’m very much a liberal mainline Protestant. 🙂 I have exactly no problems with the state allowing any combination of two adults to join themselves in a legal, contractual bond, and all sorts of problems with the state telling a church official that they have to sanction anything that goes against their beliefs. [A for instance: if a religion came about that believed that homosexuality was the right way to live, I wouldn’t want them to be forced to perform a heterosexual marriage.]

11. on August 5, 2008 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Yeah. In many ways I’d like to get the government out of the marriage business completely.