Upcycled Altered Tin

I found this cool craft on one of my craft blogs and I wanted to do it but I didn’t have a tin.

A few days later, I was digging around in my car for some hand lotion and I found an old round Altoid’s Tin. It was almost as good as Christmas.

I immediately set out to refashion a tin. Eli helped me pick the paper for it and we had to make a special trip to Hobby Lobby to get Modge Podge. I know, I can’t believe I didn’t have any either.

Here are the results:

Liza says, “Buh-fly!”

I made it without the Aleene’s Paper Glaze because I couldn’t find any at the stores here in town. I wish I’d had it because I think it would have gotten rid of the tacky feeling of the modge podge.

Anyway, it’s been sitting on my desk a couple of days and I’ve been enjoying it but I didn’t know what I was going to do with it. Today I got a note from a friend who has recently moved to Colorado. I decided to send it to her. I have loaded it up with some fun goodies and I’ll put it in the mail next week. Here’s what all fit in the tin:

1. on August 1, 2008 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Nice. I love these tins as random object holders (screws, electronic components, paper clips).

2. on August 1, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

siliconchef: if you have some spare ones hanging around, I’d love to have them. You might even get one back remade and I’ll even try to keep it manly for you. 😉

3. on August 1, 2008 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Oh My! that is just the cutest…I adore the little turtle! Thank you SO much for sharing!!!! =)

4. on August 1, 2008 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Stephanie! I loved the one you did!

5. duchess
    on August 3, 2008 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

How well would this work on non-tin boxes? I’ve a bunch of wooden boxes from Home Depot (the ones the gift cards come in) and I am wondering if that would work.

6. on August 4, 2008 at 5:41 am | Permalink

I bet it would work on wooden boxes. I have a couple of larger wooden boxes (a hat box and a wine box) that I’ve planned on someday doing similar to those.

7. Danielle
    on August 4, 2008 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Misty, I’ll look around and see if I have some floating around. I should have some Altoid tins if nothing else….

8. Lisa
    on August 4, 2008 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Looks like a lot of fun… even for we poor childless souls! 🙂
    Hmmm… containers decorated for storing & identifying other crafting odds’n’ends could lend an element of fun to the party.

One Trackback

1. […] making a purse (pictures forthcoming as progress is produced), cloth bookmarks, paper bookmarks, storage containers from recycled tins (if you have any, I want them!), a new DIY planner for myself, and I’m in the process of […]