Little Miss Soccer

Today was Eli’s first soccer game, which, in his under-five league, means all the kids bunch up around the ball except for the ones whose attention has wandered elsewhere.

All the kids except for this one girl on the opposing team who must have been 8 or 9. She could dribble the ball with either foot, and as soon as Mini-Mia got ahead of the pack, she would accelerate and score. She could cut the ball out of a group of kids. She could defend.

I was ready to go all Jeff Gillooly on her. “Psst, kid, need a snack? I’ve got Teddy Grahams! That’s right, a little closer, a little closer…” and then WHACK. People talk about sports being a good way to teach kids real-life skills like teamwork and cooperation, right? Why not give them a real lesson in how the world works!

1. on August 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

:chuckle: I think she’s the right age, but man, she did have some skillz.

[What, no obligatory parental photos of Eli’s first goal or his celebration? What kind of parenting blog is this?! 😉 ]

2. Lanabob
    on August 23, 2008 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I demand pics of Eli’s first goal! And cool captions too!
    I’m so proud of him!

3. on August 23, 2008 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Those pics that Geof took are wonderful! Go Eli!

4. on August 24, 2008 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Thank you, Jessica. 🙂 I have others to post, but I’ve got to blur out kids’ faces and such.

5. on August 24, 2008 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I have photos but there are lots of other kids faces in them which I decided not to post. Next time you are over, remind me and I’ll show them to whomever asks!

6. on August 24, 2008 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I had to work to find photos with kids’ faces not in them. The one of Eli’s celebration, I finally decided to just crop.

7. on August 25, 2008 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Teddy grahams are good, but I find that Fruit Roll-Ups have a better success ratio. Why was your five year old playing against an eight year old? I say that old-timer needs to move to another team!

8. on August 25, 2008 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

She wasn’t actually 8, it just seemed that way.

One Trackback

1. Eli Scored!…

Eli Scored!

Originally uploaded by Geof F. Morris

So Eli’s first soccer games was yesterday, so I decided to go and take photos. Because, well, two things: 1) I love the kid and 2) it’s soccer! I played for four years, bu…