Hints for Child's Play
by Stephen Granade
These are hints for my game Child's Play. The hints are
white-on-white text, so you'll need to highlight them with your mouse
to read them. The hints are divided by game chapters.
Also, I do not promise that all of the questions pertain to the
Help! I'm smothered in darkness!
- Have you tried examining the darkness?
- What about taking the darkness?
- Nothing seems to be helping.
- Fortunately the darkness will go away if you wait for four
- Alternatively, you can cry and make it go away faster.
The mom keeps wanting me to pull up. What should I do?
- You should do as she says.
- PULL UP ON FOOTSTOOL
How do I get my favorite toy?
- Have you tried taking it while you're on the ground?
- Have you tried taking it while you're pulled up on the footstool?
- When you're on the ground, you're too low, and when you're
pulled up, you're not stable enough to hold on and grab the toy at the
- Did you notice what happened with the footstool when you
pulled up on it?
- The footstool is unstable and rocks a lot.
- Maybe you could use that to your advantage to knock the toy off.
- PUSH FOOTSTOOL
How do I get out of this ring of pillows?
- Have you tried climbing the pillows?
- What about taking the pillows?
- Have you looked closely at the pillows?
- It looks like your toy Alfadog is in the middle of the pillows.
- Maybe if you moved Alfadog there would be a hole you could
- Alfadog's too tightly wedged for you to move him yourself.
- Have you looked closely at Alfadog?
- He has a switch on him.
- Try flipping that switch.
- Tah dah!
How do I get to keep my toy?
- Have you tried eating your toy instead of taking it?
- Have you tried leaving without your toy?
- There's no way you can keep your toy at this point.
Mom took my toy! Where did she put it?
- Did you see what the mom asked Marion at the beginning of
- "Can I put this toy in Zoe's backpack for now?"
- So you need to find Zoe's backpack.
- Even if you're not in the same room as the backpack, you
can see where it is if you type X BACKPACK.
How do I get to the backpack?
- As long as Parry's rocking, you can't reach the backpack.
- Have you tried putting something under the rocker to stop it?
- Since it's a glider rocker, I guess that doesn't work.
- You know, Parry would probably be a lot more careful about
rocking if he was dealing with a baby as well.
- Maybe if you pulled up on the rocker, Parry would stop
- Hey, it worked! Except for the part where Parry picked you
up so you can't reach the backpack.
- The next question and set of hints may help you out now.
How do I get Parry to pick someone up?
- The same way you get him to pick you up: get the baby to
pull up on the rocker.
- It's a shame you don't have speech down yet and can order
other babies around.
- Have you seen any babies that are particularly susceptible
to following people around?
- Have you found Watson and Jemison yet?
- Did you notice what happened when Jemison saw Watson take
the rattly car?
- I bet he'd be interested in anything you had as well.
- Find something you can take and show it to Jemison.
- Once Jemison is watching the thing you showed him, go back
to the rocker and pull up.
- You'll need to chew on whatever Jemison is interested in so
you can pull up.
- Jemison should pull up on the rocking chair so that, when
Parry is done rocking you, Parry will then pick up Jemison.
Help! Jemison isn't interested in being held!
- Did you notice how he wants to follow whatever toy you
showed him or that he saw you pick up?
- If you leave Parry's lap still holding that toy, he'll want
to be back down on the ground next to you.
- If, however, you were to leave the toy in Parry's lap...
- While you're being held by Parry, drop the toy.
How do I get the onesie out of the backpack?
- Have you tried pulling it?
- Have you tried pulling it again?
- It looks like it's going to take an adult to get the onesie
Marion has the backpack. What do I do about that?
- Have you tried pulling up on Marion?
- I guess that won't work.
- You know, if Marion had to deal with something more urgent
than the backpack, she might set the backpack down or hand it off to
- Have you ever seen Marion have to get up to deal with
- Have you seen Cassie yet?
- She starts out in the southeast corner of the room.
- After you see her, she'll head for Zoe.
- Did you notice what happens between her and Zoe?
- Cassie tried to give her the squishy ball, and Zoe went
nuts. Marion had to separate the two of them.
- Try giving something to Zoe or taking something from her
while Marion has the backpack.
Parry has my favorite toy!
- Maybe you should go get it from him.
- Pull up on Parry and then get the toy.
Where's my toy now?
- The game tells you where right at the beginning of Chapter
- It's a brief mention, so don't feel bad if you missed it.
- Your toy is in a cabinet behind the loveseat.
- Go to the north end of the loveseat, then go west and south.
How do I open the cabinet?
- Have you tried opening it?
- First of all, Zoe gets in your way and won't let you open
- Second of all, the baby lock at the top keeps you from
- You'll have to take care of both problems to open the
How do I stop Zoe from getting in my way when I try to open the cabinet?
- You'll need an accomplice to help you.
- The idea is that you'll get another baby to distract Zoe
while you open the cabinet.
- Are there any of your playmates that you can manipulate?
- Like, say, Jemison?
- He's awfully interested in those velcro jangly balls.
- Try taking them from him.
- Success! Now he's following you.
- But now he gets in your way when you try to open the cabinet.
- You need to transfer his attention from you to Zoe.
- Really it's the velcro jangly balls that he's interested in.
- If Zoe had the balls instead, Jemison would get in her way.
- Put the balls on Zoe.
How do I take care of the baby lock in the cabinet?
- Have you figured out how to keep Zoe from getting in your
way? If not, work on that problem first.
- Have you figured out what the deal is with the paper that
you can see in Couch at the West? If not, work on that problem next.
- Do you know why the cabinet rocking is important? If not,
look into that.
- Have you taken care of Parry's tumbler? That's the next
thing to do.
- Once you've dealt with all of the above, go to the cabinet
and OPEN CABINET.
What's the deal with the paper in Couch at the West?
- Have you tried to get it?
- You can't quite reach it -- the footstool is in the way.
- You need to get past the footstool.
- It's a shame your shoulders are too wide when you're crawling.
- Babies have other ways of getting around.
- Did you see the first thing Cassie did back in Chapter 1?
- She was pulled up on the couch and then cruised along it.
- If you did the same thing, I bet you'd be thin enough to
fit behind the footstool.
- Pull up on the couch, then go west.
- Now you can take the paper.
- Did you notice what happened when you took it?
- Two things. One, Parry took his tumbler from off of the cabinet.
- Two, the cabinet is now unsteady and tends to rock.
Does it matter that the cabinet rocks?
- Have you tried opening the cabinet again?
- Have you tried opening the cabinet again when Zoe is
distracted and can't oppose you?
- Did you notice how the paper coaster fell off of the
cabinet and bounced off of the baby lock?
- If it had been heavier, you'd have opened the cabinet.
- You need to get something heavy on the cabinet.
- The best candidate is something that was up there already.
- Something like Parry's heavy tumbler.
Parry won't let me mess with his tumbler!
- That's not really a question.
- You need to distract him.
- Again, this is a job for Some Other Baby.
- Have you noticed what Cassie is doing?
- She keeps climbing up and down the short plastic block.
- What do you think would happen if she had other blocks to
- Push the medium and tall plastic blocks into the same room
- When Cassie climbs on the tallest block, she'll jump from
it and hurt herself, bringing Cassie and Parry running.
- That leaves Parry's tumbler unguarded!
What do I do with Parry's tumbler?
- Are you able to touch his tumbler yet? If not, see the
- You need to do something to his tumbler that will make him
put it back up on the
- You can't push it over.
- You can drink from it, getting it all nasty.
- Alternatively, you can put something in it.
- Once you've done one of those two things, Parry will come
back and put his tumbler on the cabinet.
Where's my toy now?
- The game tells you right after you get your picture taken.
- The mom put it in the bookcase in the northeast corner of
I can't pick up anything! Help me get this stupid squid costume
off of me.
- You aren't coordinated enough to take it off.
- Neither are any of your playmates.
- That leaves one of the parents to take it off for you.
- You'll have to convince them that it needs to come off.
- Do you know one reason why babies' clothes get changed?
- Becca gave a hint while everyone was getting their picture taken.
- Babies clothes get changed when they spit up on them.
- It's not enough that you spit up, though. You'll need to
show a parent that you've gotten your costume dirty.
- SPIT UP. PULL UP ON a parent.
The toy's too high! How do I reach it?
- If you'll watch her, Zoe's trying one approach.
- She's pushing the three stepped blocks next to the bookcase.
- Sadly, that still doesn't get you high enough.
- There's another item that can get you very high.
- It's the swing.
- First, you'll need to figure out how to get the swing into
the room with the bookcase.
- Second, you'll need to figure out how to turn the swing up
to hi speed.
- Third, you'll need to figure out how to get in the swing.
Can I move the swing into another room?
- Yes, but not by pushing it. It's too heavy.
- Did you notice where the swing starts out?
- It's right in front of the TV.
- If someone wanted to watch TV, they'd have to move the
swing to do so.
- Have you seen anything that can be used to turn on a TV?
- Like a remote control?
- X REMOTE will show you where the remote is.
- It's a shame you can't use it. Who can?
- Parents can.
- Get the remote and then give it to a parent.
How do I make the swing go higher?
- At its default setting, the swing doesn't go very high.
- Have you examined the swing?
- It has a speed switch that controls how high it goes.
- The description mentions that, when the switch is turned to
hi, the swing goes very high indeed.
- The switch itself is far off of the ground.
- There are two ways to get to the switch.
- One, you can climb up the tallest plastic block and reach
the speed switch.
- Two, you can get a poosh stick from Watson.
- As far as the second approach goes, you'll need to find
Watson and experiment with the brix blox bucket.
- If you push the bucket over, brix will spill out, along
with an instruction booklet.
- Once the booklet is open, if you turn the pages a few
times, you'll see a diagram for building a poosh stick -- a long
stick suitable for pushing things around with.
- Watson will then build it for you. You can take it and push
the speed switch with it.
How do I get in the swing?
- Do you remember why the swing got hauled out in the first
place, back in Chapter 2?
- Watson was crying and Parry put him in it to calm him down.
- Have you tried crying?
- Have you tried crying several times?
- CRY. CRY. CRY. CRY.
The toy's too high! How do I reach it? (Part 2)
- Before you read any more hints from this question, make sure
you've done everything listed in the first question like this above.
- Once you're in the swing and the swing is by the bookcase
and the swing's speed switch is on hi, you still can't
quite reach the toy.
- Did you try getting it anyway?
- Did you then wait to get back out of the swing?
- A turn or two after you try to get it, Parry will come by
and knock the toy lower for you.
- Now you can get the toy.
How do I open the playpen?
- Have you tried pushing the top oval of the
- The top oval is way up there, so you'll need to get higher
to do so.
- Climb the plastic blocks and push up on the oval.
- It's going to take both you and Zoe to open the
playpen. Fortunately, she's ready to help you out.
- Unfortunately, Zoe climbs up on the tall plastic blocks.
You'll have to find some other way to reach the top oval.
- You need a way of extending your reach.
- Have you looked around Watson?
- There's this bucket of Brix Blox, a generic clone of Lego blocks.
- You know, you can build things with blox.
- Things like very long sticks.
- First you need to get the blox out of the bucket.
- Notice how the bucket is wider at the top than at the bottom?
- Try pushing the bucket.
- More than just blox comes out of the bucket. You also get
an instruction booklet.
- Try opening the booklet and turning the pages.
- It'll show you how to build a helicopter, a nuclear
reactor...and a poosh stick.
- A poosh stick is what the parents call a push stick. It's a
long stick for pushing things, hint, hint.
- Unfortunately, you aren't really into building things out
- Fortunately, Watson is!
- If you wait a couple of turns, Watson will build the poosh
stick for you.
- Once you have the poosh stick, go to the Middle of the
Living Room, where the other half of your playpen is.
- Push the top oval with the poosh stick.
- If you haven't pushed the top oval before, you'll need to
do it again once Zoe gets the idea and climbs the plastic blocks.
Zoe has my toy!
- Calm down. There's no need to be a big baby about it.
- Sorry, I've been waiting all hint file to say that.
- Anyway. The problem is that, every time you try to take the
toy from her, she scurries away.
- You need a way to slow her down.
- Did you notice what Parry started eating right after Zoe
got your toy?
- He's eating Cheerios.
- Remember what happened when Parry spilled some Cheerios
when everyone was eating at the table?
- Every baby was instantly attracted to the Cheerios.
- You need to spill those Cheerios.
- They're up on the loveseat next to Parry, so you can't
- But I bet your trusty poosh stick can.
- HIT CUP WITH STICK.
- Once all of the babies have come to the Cheerios, go find
Zoe and try to take your toy.
- She'll instinctively run towards the Cheerios.
- Once you and she are in the same room as the Cheerios,
you'll be able to take your favorite toy.
- And that's it! Congratulations!